I cannot thank ya'll enough for jumping in and helping, 'cause without you, I would have had little for God to work with. What I did was make an outline based on your comments. It was a workshop called Harmony in the Home, so I went with a "do, re, me" theme. Then, I let the Holy Spirit just teach... for kicks, here is the outline I was working from (it's cut & paste so, prepare for typos and partial thoughts):
Do: Don’t listen to the falsettos of perfect moms– they are full of hot air!
(tell real stories here- like the time I flicked toddler spencer in the head)
- Let's stop comparing
- Let’s be real with each other
- Let’s be real with ourselves
- Let's let God be real with us
- Watch your attitude
- Watch your words
- Music in the home
- Let your kids help with cooking & chores.
- Engage in conversation whenever you can… meals, bedimes, car times. Put the phone down.
- If meals are a big fight time, identify what is going awry and fix it… (more on this)
- Know more about your husband… what makes him the happiest
- Know more about your God…
- learn how to give & receive love from your Father
- De clutter/label toys- take out few at a time
- Let it go
- New definition of clean
- Clothes for the day
- Expected behaviors (kids at the grocery store story)
- Time to really be there for your kids
- Time for your marriage
- Time for God
- Time for yourself… find mentors and friends you can be real with
The one thing that seemed to really effect people, I mean- it totally silenced the room, was something I did not plan to say, was not in my notes, and had not occurred to me in that way before. (That's how I know it's the Holy Spirit; I feel like saying "Could someone please write that down? I want to learn that!") When I was relaying your advice to "not sweat the small stuff" I heard my voice say this, which really spoke to my heart:
"Often, we are so busy protecting our children, that we are creating for them a life without consequences. Our children fight us about wearing jackets, because we have never let them feel cold. They fight us about eating, because we never let them get truly hungry. Sometimes, it's good to let our children feel some of the consequences of their behaviors so they can learn and we can relax."
God is so good to me- when I think I am teaching others is when I learn the coolest lessons for myself.
Thank you again for all of your help. I am so so so blessed to be able to be part of the body of Christ- with us all working together it is a beautiful thing for His glory!
The human body has many parts, but the many parts make up one whole body. So it is with the body of Christ.
1 Corinthians 12:12
ps- for those of you who hung on for the LONGEST.post.ever.- I applaud you. I could never have read this whole thing. I vow to post much shorter blogs for an entire week as penance!